XDeadlySilenceX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercenary Guide

2 posters

Go down

Mercenary Guide Empty Mercenary Guide

Post  Admin Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 am

I've seen mercenary guides online with ratings so I'll follow the same format except from my personal view. 5 is the best rating and 1 is the worst rating.

The following are a list of mercenaries, for more details goto http://atlantica.wikia.com/wiki/Mercenary:

Also before you read this guide, you should note that stun is a powerful weapon versus your foes. That is why multi-hitting mercenaries are highly valued depending on your build.

(Grade D)

Archer:
Pro: Hits single target on any formation both ground and air, effectively "sniping". Concentrated "sniping" can really ruin someone's day. Can also silence an entire row.

Con: Hits only 1 target, low health and defense.

PvP: 3~4 depending on build.
PvE: 3

Artilleryman:
Pro: Hits up to 5 ground targets, effective in stun team. Also can debuff defense/dot (damage over time) entire formation.
Con: Low damage per target, can't hit flying targets.

PvE: 4

Gunner:
Pro: Hits an entire column, both flying and ground targets. Effective in stun team.
Con: Low health and defense. Regular attack is usually better than her skill.

Monk
Pro: Protects main, makes entire row immune to magic and most importantly cures stun. Enough said.
Con: Very boring mercenary, have to replenish mana often. Is a caster so not very durable either.

PvP: 5 Almost a requirement for people that pvp.
PvE: 5

Shaman
Pro: First healer you get. Noble sacrifice is very useful in pvp.
Con: Inferior to Oracle at all levels except for Noble Sacrifice skill.

PvP: 4 Should utilize Noble Sacrifice if you plan on keeping her during pvp.
PvE: 4.5 Everyone needs a healer.

Spearman
Pro: Hits first and second in single column with pretty high damage. Whole column at high lvl with Lightning Spear. Lightning Spear's AP drain effect is devastating against low AP mercs during pvp.
Con: Low defense and magic defense, can't tank for crap.

PvP: 4.5 If you plan on getting a Spearman get two, and Lightning spear same column with both.
PvE: 4 Not a very good tank.

Swordsman
Pro: Second only to Sword main and Lady Knight merc in tanking. Flame Sword does high single target damage.
Con: All attacks are single target only, non magic damage sucks. Can't tank as well as LK.

PvP: 3.5 Triple Flame Sword is pretty devastating against low magic defense merc.
PvE: 4.5 Everyone needs a tank.

Viking
Pro: Hit or freeze (for two turns) an entire first row. High vitality, decent tank at early levels.
Con: Low AP and low magic defense. At around lvl 80~90 becomes very inferior tanker.

PvP: 5 Can't ingore the benefit of Freeze Axe/Ice Ridge **I'd leave Freeze Axe at 1 for Ice Ridge later**
PvE: 4.5 Ditto, but inability to tank well sucks.

(Grade C)

Beast Trainer
Pro: Beast Summon hits all mobs, great for AOE build and frankly any build. Hits 3 front row and has pretty high AP rate.
Con: Can't tank very well at later levels, way too expensive to upgrade for non-gcoiner new players. For new players it might be better to get two vikings or other tanks instead.

PvP: 4.5 AOE damage can hardly be called non-threatening.
PvE: 4 Strong tanks become pretty mandatory.

Witch
Pro: Flying, massive AOE damage and can recharge mana (addicting). Great for Staff main AOE build. I would recommend this merc to everyone at early levels though, she's great until lvl 100.
Con: Glass cannon, dies very easily. Become rather obsolete at later levels in terms of damage and uses.

PvP: 4 Great for staff main and AOE build but become rather obsolete at high levels.
PvE: 4 (I would rate 5 at early levels).

Exorcist
Pro: Can prevent all casters from using spells.
Con: Next to useless in most PvE situations. Can't tank for crap or deal damage for much.

PvP: 5
PvE: 2.5

Princess
Pro: Support merc for ranged characters by healing, increasing dmg & accuracy. Can debuff all ranged, rather effectively with charm equipped.
Con: Have to consume a lot of food to keep mana full after every fight. Might be better off with another merc instead. Can be mana sealed.

PvP: 5 (depending on formation)
PvE: 4.5

Prophet
Pro: Support merc for melee characters by healing, increasing dmg & accuracy. Can debuff all melee, rather effectively with charm equipped. Bow merc and therefore immune to mana seal and can snipe.
Con: Have to consume a lot of food to keep mana full after every fight. Might be better off with another merc instead.

PvP: 5 (depending on formation)

Oracle
Pro: Better than Shaman at all levels with exception of lack of noble sacrifice ability.
Con: Doesn't have noble sacrifice.

PvP: 4.5~5
Inventor
Pro: Summon Machine ability allows this merc to act like two mercs in one. Can really put stun pressure during pvp.
Con: Not as useful as Janissary in PvE since monsters usually die before stuns kick in.

Cannoneer
Pro: Higher normal attack damage than Artillery. Smoke Bomb debuff is highly useful.
Con: Can't hit air and damage is too spread apart, can be marginally effective against high hp regen build in pvp.

PvP: 4.5~5
PvE: 4.5~5

Lady Knight
Pro: Best tank merc in the game.
Con: Even with light slash rather lacking in damage department.

PvP: 4.5

Janissary
Pro: Excellent damage with Shooting Stance.
Con: Too straightforward in terms of strategy during pvp.

Minstrel
Pro: Hits like a spear but anywhere (i think). I am not yet very familiar with this merc.
Con: No one wants her.

PvP: ?
PvE: ?

Punisher
Pro: Very good AOE and more importantly, can awaken. Hits like Axe.
Con: HORRIBLE magic defense. Keep this merc holy guarded if you can.

PvP: 5 (with introduction of Empress)

Hwarang
Pro: Increase range merc's damage and combo rates, we love you hwarang. Can also seal instruments.
Con: Rather fragile and takes hp hit every turn.

(Grade B)

Spartan
Pro: Can tank AND deal damage at the same time. War Cry reduces combo rate. Pure awesomeness.
Con: Can't tank as well as LK but almost as well.

Pirate
Pro: Massive damage. With introduction of Crimson Blade (massive damage to single column) became much more popular.
Con: Can't tank for crap.

Elementalist
Pro: Bane to all melees. Massive damage all melee in formation and can seal all melee abilities as well.
Con: Not very useful when melees are not or no longer present.

Empress
Pro: Can holy guard and silence. But more importantly is a bow merc, therefore immune to mana seal and freezing atmosphere. Unless Punisher is present can free monk or any mercs at will.
Con: May not be as useful in non-snipe build. Monk is probably better for PvE.

(Grade A)
Druid
Pro: Better than Viking at all levels and then some. Beast Soul STACKS with SETH!
Con: Can't tank as well as some of the mercs but honestly its advantages more than make up for it.

Last edited by Admin on Tue May 25, 2010 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin

https://xdeadlysilencex.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Mercenary Guide Empty Re: Mercenary Guide

Post  boomboomben Sun May 23, 2010 1:14 pm

ahhhh so i'm level 83 now and I still have no plan as to my formation haha.

Currently (Musician):
BT - Sword - Viking
Gun - Gun - Spear
Main - Monk - Oracle

I'm trying to put more thought into this as there are a lot of new mercs coming up in the near future. I'm PvE-minded. I'll PvP if it furthers my PvE but that's it.

My only thoughts right now are that I want to get rid of the spear. I just don't like him at all and feel like I would've liked an arty better but oh well. So in half a level I can get an inventor - should I? Stat-wise he seems more powerful and survivable than the guns so I'm liking him. My first thought is to replace the spear with him.

Then at 87 there is cannoneer but I know nothing about him. And then I think I should get an LK? and then replace guns w/ Janissaries? And What's the deal with the N.Viking? is he a new merc or an upgrade of my Viking? I'm so confused...

boomboomben

Back to top Go down

Post  boomboomben Tue May 25, 2010 12:29 pm

I should've posted in other thread I think lol. Also, I decided not to get inventor.

boomboomben

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 25, 2010 9:05 pm

It's okay who cares where you post it lol.

Currently (Musician):
BT - Sword - Viking
Gun - Gun - Spear
Main - Monk - Oracle

That's your formation.

Here's what I suggest for total PvE formation:

BT (or 2nd LK), LK, N. Viking
Jani, Jani (or cannoneer), Princess
Main, Monk, Oracle

Try to tank with BT for extra AOE dps but if it doesn't work out indi her and get 2nd LK or Spartan if you can afford him.

This is a very simple and straight forward formation but I think it works well. Just Seth mid row and make sure front line lives. HG'ing front line usually is a good idea (BT & Viking won't survive long against magic attacks) unless combo rate is already at two.

See below link and/or below txt for info on "independent mercenary":

http://www.atlantica-db.com/mercenary-independence

Mercenary Independence

When a mercenary reaches level 100, he or she can be independent. You can do it through Fugger, who is northeast of Lisbon.

In order to be independent, the mercenary cannot have any equipment or items.

The mercenary must be younger than 50 years of age.

One user can make a maximum of 10 independent mercenaries.
Unfortunately, once they become independent, you cannot hire them again.

[Friendship with Independent Mercenary]

Independent Mercenaries will send you mail every month. (1 per day in real time) This might be a request or just a thank you letter.
If you fulfill one request, your friendship will increase by 1. However, friendship cannot exceed 100

An important thing to remember is that if you ignore the request, you will lose 2 points for friendship.
However, the friendship level will never decrease below 1.

[Independent Mercenary's Retirement]

Independent mercenaries will age just like the other characters in the game.
If the independent mercenary gets older than 60, he or she will retire and be released.
Once they are released, you won't be able to rehire them or receive mail from them. It will be more beneficial for you to hire younger mercenaries.

[Releasing Independent Mercenary]

You can choose to release independent mercenaries.
You should release a mercenary after carefully analyzing each mercenary's information from NPC Fugger who's in charge of giving independence to mercenaries.
Carefully review your decision because once you release them, you will no longer receive correspondence or items from them.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 25, 2010 9:07 pm

Oh don't get inventor unless you plan on PvP'ing a lot. He can summon an extra machine that adds to extra combo rate contribution. But for PvE monsters almost always die before you can take full advantage of the stuns. And bosses don't stun anyway so Janissary would be a better option.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down